Revealing my Intent: Image 3 "Light from Beneath"

 





This image was taken mid-day. I had driven to up the Washougal river to Dougan Falls, as I have many times over the years. This particular time was after a freshet in the morning, and following a strong rain the day before. I was hoping that extra water force would give me what I was looking for, and it did. A very strong current over the falls and into the pool beneath. Yet it was missing essential light. Not just good light, but that early bright cast or golden afternoon light. I knew I had work to do.


The color of the water, is almost always a deep green, what is referred to as Steelhead Green, a local term among those who fish for steelhead, a member of the trout family. But that wasn't giving me the tones I wanted. I was looking for something spectacular, something that would stand out above all other art in the room, something one would find difficult to look away from once hung on the wall. It wasn't going to be just another waterfall print.


I took hours over a few days attempting to develop a finish that brought me that special look. I used my favorite Photoshop tools but I wasn't getting where I wanted, until I decided to go dark. And dark wasn't all it took. As I continued I had to add that special light I was looking for. And even then after adding back the light, I continued until it hit me. It wasn't the simple light it needed, I needed light from beneath the surface of the water in the pool, at the bottom of the waterfall. Once I mastered that, I began working on the coloring. It took perhaps 25-30 attempts to get it exactly how I wanted it. Then I sat on it for a few days. I needed fresh eyes. 


When I came back a week later, I knew I had created a winner. And to this day, it is  one of my favorites that I continue to re-hang on the living room wall, after a seasonal change out of prints.


You can see this at My Photography Website 



Next in this Series Sky on Fire


Comment below














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Dull to Dramatic Photography

Shooting Christmas Can be Fun.......or........

Consciousness Coupled with Photography Art

Do you ever shoot for free?

Happy Mother's Day Mom

Soft Proofing in Photoshop

Not Having Much Fun With Photoshop?

Soft Focus your Photos

Photo Use Acronyms Explained

Two very special prints at Fort Vancouver NHS a National Park