Do you ever shoot for free?

Give your opinion in the Comments section below after signing up. Our readers want to know how you feel. For those of you who'd rather not sign up answer the poll in the column to the right.

I've created a typical scenario which I've discussed with many photographers over time who've shared their talent alongside starving artist status. The discussion is almost always the same, ENP (Every New Photographer) seems to feel the need to give freely of their skills in order to gain business. After all how do you get business without giving a little? The discussion usually goes something like this.

RCPhotos: So when does one start charging for your photography skills? Do you?

ENP: Oh I'm new at this so when a friend asked if I'd take a few shots of their new baby I said sure, no problem. My idea was that they'd see some really good results and maybe pass my name around.

RCphotos: How did it go?

ENP: Well they said they'd tell everyone they knew but after a few weeks I only heard form one of their friends. She was about to celebrate her baby's 1st Birthday and wanted to know if I would like to be there. She would have about 15 friends and family members who would get to know me and to bring along some business cards. Sounded good to me.

RCPhotos: And you said?

ENP: I said sure I'd love to. After showing up and of course shooting for about 20 minutes, I told her I'd get in touch with her to show her the results. Fine she said. I passed out a business card to 1 person who expressed an interest. 2 days later I called. Left a message. Then she left a message for me: "Oh could you just email them to me. I'll take a look and let you know." I did and never heard from her again.

RCphotos: Hmmm. So she didn't like them?

ENP: I have to believe she did, they were very good photos. The lighting was very good and I cropped for great pictures. I think she just didn't have the money.

RCPhotos: You then called again to set up a portfolio viewing? You bring an 8x10" and a few 5x7's?

ENP: I tried but she never called back.

Interesting how these situations often lead to great photos and no money. I want to know how you've reacted when asked for a little helping hand. I can think of a hundred other scenarios where offering to do a little shoot for free sounds like a way to get a paid gig. But most often it ends in a free shoot and no money in your pocket. From a business sense we feel we have failed, from a social sense we feel perhaps we've done a nice thing for someone. And we have failed and we have done a nice thing. So where do you draw the line?

Let us know how you feel.

Comments

Shari said…
We Photographers/Artist's have to eat and have a roof over our heads too.
Have brought that up many times with people.
Seriously, money doesn't grow on trees and we just can't write a blank check to people and give our time, work and gas for our cars for free.
I mean, how would they feel if they were expected to go to work everyday and have their Boss say.. OH.. well, you have to work but I can't afford to pay you.
Bet they won't be happy.
Drawn2Paint said…
It is an interesting issue and one I can't seem to get a handle on myself. What I did before the market crashed was to offer discounts when people allowed me to use the photos I liked on my website (This allowed a little money to come in and to sell work that I couldn't sell otherwise. ex. other peoples children or weddings) Then the photos I took for myself of neutral subjects I charged the going market price. That was until the market became so depressed in my area that selling any sort of art became a up hill struggle and I put it on hold in favor of steady work outside the art field.

Popular posts from this blog

From Dull to Dramatic Photography

Shooting Christmas Can be Fun.......or........

Consciousness Coupled with Photography Art

Soft Proofing in Photoshop

Happy Mother's Day Mom

Not Having Much Fun With Photoshop?

Soft Focus your Photos

Photo Use Acronyms Explained

Two very special prints at Fort Vancouver NHS a National Park