Pleasing Skin Tones

I like this tutorial less for following the guidelines exactly as they explain them, but more for what it teaches you to get to where you want. Pleasing Skin Tones is a Digital Photoshop Class unto itself, written by Dan Margulis, who also offers his book at Amazon called Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction for around $13 at my check (no I'm not making any money recommending his book).

I checked a photo I had taken yesterday at a Portrait shoot with a client who had done her makeup to perfection for a Real Estate business card and asked me to lighten the blush on her cheek. I did only that. It looked fine. Then I followed the tutorial every step exactly as explained and what occurred was a general toning down, a good thing, but also a cast which the client was not happy with. Fortunately I printed out both as proofs. She chose mine with, under CMYK restraints, at 24-Yellow, 25-Magenta & 8-Cyan. The tutorial's instructions were to adjust to 30-Yellow, 24-Magenta & 8-Cyan.

So even though these values are very close my advice is to always check with your own eyes. Don't blindly go in lock-step with any tutorial as lighting conditions, camera settings and client expectations offer too many exceptions to this rule. All in all though a great tutorial for learning the HOW of settings.

Take a run at this then let us know how it worked for you. If it turns out good and you don't yet have an online Gallery try Kodak

BTW, if your monitor is calibrated & you are using an ICC Profile for the paper type you will get accurate results, otherwise what you see on your LCD may not even be accurate.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Rich, the Outside Shooter,

........Your "Shasta Daisy"

I purchased a print of your "Shasta Daisy," the dew drops on the white petals are just exquisite! You've captured many elements of serenity in this still moment of nature's glory.

Very beautifully packaged to. Thank you.
From-Teri/Pasadena, California 2007
Outsideshooter said…
Thank you for the purchase of my print at Imagekind. If there are any questions I can help you with regarding photography, please let me know.

Popular posts from this blog

From Dull to Dramatic Photography

Shooting Christmas Can be Fun.......or........

Consciousness Coupled with Photography Art

Do you ever shoot for free?

Soft Proofing in Photoshop

Happy Mother's Day Mom

Not Having Much Fun With Photoshop?

Photo Use Acronyms Explained

Two very special prints at Fort Vancouver NHS a National Park

Soft Focus your Photos